Help to maximize your pet sitting and dog walking experience:
- Call in advance to make your pet sitting and dog walking reservations, especially for holidays.
- Be prepared to speak about your pets’ history & habits.
- If your dog is not use to walking on a leash, you should practice before leaving.
- If your dog growls or snaps at a pet sitter during a “get acquainted” visit, please be understanding if they ask that you make alternative arrangements for your dog’s care.
- If you don’t have spare keys to your home you will need to make 2 sets for your pet sitter before you go away. Check to ensure that your new keys work.
- Provide written verification that your pets are current with their vaccinations. Your pets should have their current vaccination tags attached to their collars.
- Make sure the collar fits. Otherwise, your dog may slip out of an over-sized collar while being walked.
- Buy extra supplies such as food & litter in the event that you stay longer than expected.
- Leave an article of clothing that you have recently worn where your pets sleeps. This can act as a “security blanket” for them.
- Provide a means of flea control. Fleas can multiply rapidly and quickly become a problem!
- If you have a pet that is prone to chew, please leave “chew toys” and take proper precautions to safeguard your important belongings from their teeth while you are gone.
During the consultation, please try not to coerce your pet into liking the pet sitter. Some pets are shy and can’t be expected to warm up to a stranger immediately. With time and patience trust will develop, and a friendly relationship will be established.